Cleaning Up Your Criminal History

Having a criminal record can make your life difficult even after you have served your time. For example, you will have to disclose your record on applications to universities and to potential employers, in some instances. Fortunately, in Pennsylvania, some criminal offenses can be “wiped away” from your record. This process is known as expungement. Once a prior offense is expunged from your criminal record, it will no longer show up on background checks when you apply for jobs or colleges.

Not all offenses are eligible for expungement, though. While being acquitted of a crime results in automatic expungement, if the charges against you are dismissed or dropped at the successful completion of the Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition (ARD) program, you have to petition the court to expunge the offense.

If you plead guilty or are found guilty of a summary offense, you are eligible to petition the court for expungement of the summary offense after 5 years have passed, so long as you have not been arrested or found guilty of any crimes during that time period. Unfortunately, expungement is generally not available for misdemeanor and felony convictions or guilty pleas.

Contact Us Now to see if you are eligible to have offenses expunged from your criminal record.

Expungement Petition Forms

Q: I've completed my ARD program. Can I get it expunged?
A: Yes, using the ARD Expungement Form, you can file this petition with the court.

Q: How do I get a Summary Offense(s) off my record?
A: Yes, using the Rule 490 Petition Form, you can file for expungement with the court.

Q: My Misdemeanor and/or Felony Offense(s) were withdrawn or dismissed, can I have them removed from my record?
A: Yes, using the Rule 790 Petition Form, you can file with the court to have these removed.

If you want to know if your case qualifies for Expungement or if your case was outside of Centre County, Contact Our Office!